At the pool

At the pool

Monday, September 14, 2015

Yesterday the NFL season began. It was a million weeks of waiting, during which we had nothing to do beside listen to news about Deflate-gate, and then at last the season came. And about three minutes into the season I was already waiting for it to be over. That’s being a Dolphins fan. 

The Dolphins have been a model of mediocrity for the last three years (strictly 7-9 and 8-8 seasons), but we were supposed to be a whole different crew this year. Everyone expected big things, and some silly writers had predicted that we would overtake the Patriots in the division.

It took only the first few minutes of their game in Washington to see that many things were still the same. They threw bad passes, they did not tackle, and they were soon losing 10-0 against a team they were supposed to destroy. I could rant for days about all of their failures, but they did come back and win the game. It wasn’t pretty, but it was a win. So I really can’t lay into the team they way I would’ve if they lost altogether.

Besides, when I think I have it bad, I’m reminded that there’s always someone who has it worse than you. . . .

The following passage came from an article about the San Francisco 49ers, who went through a miserable off-season. This was a description explaining how their new coach Jim Tomsula has been preparing to actually be a head coach:

“Tomsula said he has read books and watched film on all the different scenarios. Like every coach in the NFL, he’ll have a chart in his hand as a quick reference guide for situations, such as when it’s OK to call timeouts, when to take a knee and when the team might need to go for a first down in order to protect a lead.”

When your head coach needs a lesson on when to call a timeout, you definitely have worse problems than me. I’m no fan of the 49ers (still stinging from Super Bowl XIX), but I do wish the 49ers fans good luck this year. You’ll be needing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment