. . . have a completely different when your team is not in the mix. In the most obvious way, it is a source of constant hurt. But in a way it is also comforting. Today I watched a Kansas City/Houston game that may have broken a young Houston team. They needed to win this game to win the series and move on in the playoffs, and in the 8th inning they had a 6-2 lead. They were cruising to the win, when the unthinkable happened: The Royals rallied. Big time.
You are watching a game sometimes and you get a feeling that the ending is predestined. The end hasn't come yet, but the way it will play out is obvious. Even if it is heartbreaking.
The Royals game was like that. I'd been kind of pulling for the Houston Astros. They are pretty good this year, but they have SUCKED for a long time, so they are the underdogs in this year's playoffs. I tend to root for underdogs. And there they were in the 8th inning about to take down the excellent Royals. Until a monster 1/2 inning happened, and suddenly they were losing, and you could just feel that the Royals owned the game now--and probably the series.
It just feels predestined.
Of course, it's not predestined, and the teams still need to play one more game to win this thing, so I'll be tuning in to root for the Astros even if I feel in my heart they are doomed. That is depressing, but for me it is not terribly so. After all, neither of these are my team, and so my investment is pretty limited. I can walk away after the most crushing loss and enjoy the rest of my day.
Which brings me around to my original point. That was not the Giants out there today blowing a huge lead and breaking my heart. Luckily for me the Giants had already blown their chance at competing for the title. It's all up to other teams and other fans now. And today, that is a mighty nice feeling.
No comments:
Post a Comment